Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How the Garcia girls lost their accents final reflection.

Now that I have gotten to te end of the book, "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents" by Julia Alvarez, it is more clear to me what the big idea of the book is. I think that what Julia Alvarez is trying to tell us, the readers is that when the Garcia girls came to the United States, they lost their innocence. The big changes in their lives caused dramatic changes in their personalities.
The first part of the book was really confusing. I could not understand anything. Once I got to the second part, it was easier to understand a little more than the first part. I could see the difference in time in the story by then. Finally, when I started reading the third part of the book, it all connected and started to make sense. I started to notice what the pattern was. How it all began. What was that caused the Garcia girls to end up being different women with much different personalities when living in the United States than when they lived in the Dominican Republic. What impressed me by the end of the book, which was actually the beginning of the story (The past) was that it sent the reader back to the beginning of the book, which was actually the ending of the story (The present) and it was like it started all over again.
The idea of them losing their innocence when their lives change is because I noticed the way they lived in the Dominican Republic an compared it with the way the lived in the United States. It seems like there are humble girls back home and when they come here, they become rebellious. I think that they weren't mentally ready to chug their lives in such a way. Being taken away from their home land was unexpected.
I was wondering what the title has to do with the actual story and I thought two things; the "accents" on the title represents "innocence" or the title actually means that the Garcia girls forget about their culture and become part of another society. I thought that the title could mean either one.
I was also wondering if the book had been written in a normal way, meaning from the beginning of the story to the end, or from past to present, if the meaning of the book had still been the same.
This book was really confusing. I thought this book was good though, the ending was much better than te beginning because it was easier to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment