Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The confusing How the García girls lost their accents

As I began reading How the García Girls lost their accents by Julia Alvarez, I could not understand what it was really about. What mainly confused me was that there were a lot of characters and I had no idea who they were. I started to kind of understand the reading wen I got to the part where Yolanda is back in the Dominican Republic. I began to understand why she was there but I did not or was not able to connect it to the very beginning.

Another thing that is confusing is the way the story us told. It starts with the end and ends with the beginning. That's is really confusing to me and males it harder for me to understand what the meaning of the book is.

The lives of the characters seem like they've gone through a lot of things. There is disloyalty between the characters, there is anger, there are also connections but many things happen to the characters throughout the years. I think of the lives of some of the characters and see that hay have a reputation based on what they did or what they have done.

Before I started reading the book, I thought that it would be about how the Garcia girls lost their Spanish accent. When I started reading I started thinking and then I thought it might rather be about how they lose their Spanish or how they leave behind everything for a new life in the United States. I think of the title now as something different than what I tought at first when I was just looking at the book and had not started reading. Now I think that it might mean how the Garcia girls left their home, their people, their food and their language for a replacement. In hope of success. Now, they seem to have lost some of those things or they seem to have forgotten them.

Honestly, this book is really confusing. I can't read something that is told in reverse. I don't know what to expect for the rest of the book. I can't really make predictions when the order if the story is like this. I wonder what will happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment